All the details about the latest Avalanche update
New in this version
This is an Avalanche update with a major new feature: the ability to migrate previews of your edited files.
- [NEW] : added the ability to customize the preview image names on disk by choosing a suffix and previewing how it will look like.
- [NEW] : added the ability to apply the naming suffix to the version (copy) names.
- [NEW] : add a clear warning when the source catalog is linked with an iCloud photostream as Avalanche does not support migrating those images.
- [NEW] : new QuickStart in french.
- [IMPROVED] : user interface for the Preview Export Settings has been improved.
- [IMPROVED] : improved date timezone encoding when exporting.
- [IMPROVED] : improved support for the MagicMouse and Magic Trackpad. In previous versions, some horizontal scroll could lead to unexpected UI behaviour.
- [IMPROVED] : the criteria for exporting previews has been clarified. You can now choose between ‘lossy and approximate’ or ‘lossy’
- [IMPROVED] : an alert is displayed when you choose to export all previews, warning you about the size and time requirements
- [IMPROVED] : the display of RAW+JPEG pairs when counting masters.
- [IMPROVED] : window size and position is remembered between launches.
- [IMPROVED] : the timeline display is now restricted to a more reasonable time period [1900, 2100].
- [IMPROVED] : the previews have now the same IPTC and EXIF properties as the picture they represent.
- [FIXED] : resolved some situations were an image could be missed in the migration.
- [FIXED] : when exporting to Lightroom, the Creator section of the IPTC field was badly encoded causing Lightroom to display an error when trying to apply a metadata preset.
- [FIXED] : when exporting to Lightroom, the capture dates were encoded using the wrong timezone convention, causing time information to be incorrect.
- [FIXED] : when exporting to Lightroom, sidecar files are not created anymore for DNG and non RAW files (e.g. JPEGS).
- [FIXED] : some image metadata is better exported to Lightroom making the catalog more consistent
- [FIXED] : some dates were incorrect in the timeline
- [FIXED] : Lightroom uses case insensitive keywords, which could lead to insertion errors, when coming from Aperture where keywords are case sensitive.
- [FIXED] : the timeline was not displaying periods containing only 1 image.
- [FIXED] : improved some localization and wording
The following features are not yet implemented or not yet fully functional : – MacOS 10.14 Mojave is required – Aperture’s dedicated Skin Tones and NaturalGray white balance settings are not yet handled – the following Aperture effects are not yet supported: Sepia Toning, Monochrome effects, Levels,… – the following adjustments are not converted at all (default values apply) : Noise Reduction, Sharpening
What to expect in the next updates ?
We expect to deliver the following features in the coming releases : – support for MacOS High Sierra (10.13) – almost finished – tentative support for Sepia toning, etc… – better conversion of adjustments such as sharpening, noise reduction, etc…. – add Apple Photos as a source.
Please contact us via our feedback form inside the app if you have specific requirements.